Digital items are items that the buyer can download immediately. After selecting the downloadable option for your product you can configure the Downloadable tab:
- Name the file and select the Upload button. Enter the downloadable URL if it’s hosted elsewhere, or select the Upload button to either insert an existing file from your Media Library or to Upload a new file.
- Enter “Download limit” (optional). Once a user hits this limit, they can no longer download the file.
- Enter “Download expiry.” If you define a number of days, download links expire after that.
Combining Downloadable and Virtual products #
If you tick the Downloadable checkboxes, products can have stock and are treated as physical products. This allows you to sell downloads and real products together.
If you want to add/sell a downloadable product that does not have a physical component, enable the Virtual option.
The ordering process for downloadable products is:
- The customer adds a downloadable product to their cart.
- The customer checks out and pays.
- After the payment, several things can happen depending on your setup:
- If items in the order are all downloadable + virtual, the order is completed.
- If items are physical and downloadable/virtual, the order is processing until you change it.
- Once complete, or if the option “Grant access to downloadable products after payment” is enabled, the customer can:
- Be granted download permission
- See download links on the order received page
- See download links in their email notification
- See download links on their ‘My Account’ page if logged in
Customers can then download files.
Invoice/Order Email #
The customer receives an invoice/order confirmation with a clickable link to download if the order is processed and paid.
Managing Orders with Downloadable Line items #
- Go to: Store Manager > Orders and select the order to view or edit.
- Scroll down to the Downloadable Product Permissions meta box, which displays the download and how many times the customer had accessed it.
- Revoke access, grant access to new downloads, or exit order.
Download logs/reports #
Downloads of digital/downloadable products have unique IDs that are tracked and logged in Reports.
Size limit and audio file types #
The maximum size for each file is 20MB. We currently support the following file types: .mp3, .m4a, .ogg and .wav
Can I use cloud storage to store my files and downloads? #
Most definitely! SVM only needs an external URL that points to your digital download file. If it is a valid external download URL, then SVM works perfectly. There is no further validation.